If your mattress is giving you the slightest problem and you are thinking of getting a new one, it’s time to change. There are no set of rules as to when you should replace the mattress. However, it’s safe to assume that change is required when you’re feeling uncomfortable and restless.
The lifespan of a mattress is about eight years. However, it also depends on the quality of the mattress you buy. For example, buying a spring mattress with low-quality coils will not last for eight years and may wear out early. Simply said, any mattress manufactured using high-quality materials is bound to last longer. Also, if you take good care of the mattress, it could last longer than its supposed lifespan.
Below are some reasons why you may need to change your mattress:
- The mattress is experiencing more weight
- The mattress’ springs are creating extra noises
- The mattress is tearing apart
- The mattress is wearing out
- The mattress is causing sore muscles in the morning
- The mattress is making asthma or allergens situations worse
- The mattress is causing changes in your quality of sleep
- Some of the above reasons can be ignored depending on the type and quality of the mattress you buy.
When to Replace Your Mattress?
There are multiple reasons to change the mattress, and the primary among them all is comfort. For example, to soften a firm mattress, you can use a mattress topper. However, if the mattress topper does not provide comfort, you’re bound to get a new one soon.
After a while, every mattress starts to become lumpy, saggy, and dippy. In short, it becomes uncomfortable to sleep on it. Such unsupportive and uncomfortable interferes with your sleep and causes problems the following day. Not getting sufficient sleep at night can also lead to numerous diseases like
- Kidney diseases
- Heart diseases
- Sleep Apnea
Dust mites are created from the dead skin left by our bodies on the bed. The dead skin gives rise to dust mites that stay on the mattress feeding off dead skin and reproducing. A study in 2015 found that dust mites are very dangerous for health and are most commonly found on beds. Dust mites can worsen if you have other problems like asthma, allergies, or respiratory conditions.
How to Know it’s Time to Replace the Mattress?
There are many ways to finding out if it’s time to get a new mattress, and doubting your current mattress consistently, is one of them. Watch a video where our sleep consultant talks about when to replace the mattress here. Also, below are some tips, and if you experience them, it’s probably time to get a new mattress.
- Wear and tear signs
If you can feel the coils from the fabric of your mattress is a primary sign that your mattress needs to change. When lying on the mattress, if you feel lumps or sagging, it’s time to change your mattress.
- Noisy springs
When you move in the bed, and the springs make squeaky noises, it’s time to change the mattress and get a new one. The springs are making noise as they’re no longer able to provide the support they should. It’s a sign that they are worn out and have no lifespan left in them.
- Stiffness in muscles
If the mattress has become old and no longer provides the comfort it is supposed to, you may wake up with sore muscles. A mattress is supposed to support your body to rest and not create more problems. A new mattress will keep your muscles and help improve the quality of your sleep. Thus, get a new one if you feel that your current mattress is making your muscles stiff.
- Worsening of asthma or allergens
Dust mites are known to wreak havoc on people suffering from asthma and allergies. As said above, the highest quantity of dust mites in any home can be found on the mattress. To an extent, dusting and cleaning the mattress can help. However, if the symptoms aren’t improving for you, it’s time to change the mattress.
- No motion isolation
As the mattress gets older, it starts to lose the ability of motion isolation. You can feel your partner moving or changing sides in the bed since motion transfer is reduced. So, if you can also feel your partner moving in while trying to get some sleep, it’s time to take them for mattress shopping.
When you gain weight, and the mattress cannot accommodate that, you should probably check for reasons. The point is if your mattress can’t handle some extra weight than earlier, it has become old and needs to change.
How to Increase the Lifespan of Your Mattress?
Once your mattress starts to become uncomfortable, there’s no chance to increase its life. However, before the mattress loses its shape and build, causing your problems, you can try some things to improve its life. Below are some tips to make your mattress last longer.
- Get a mattress protector to save your mattress from dust, debris, and spills.
- Modern mattresses may not need bed frames, but there’s no harm in getting one. A right foundation and box spring will only increase the supportiveness of a mattress.
- Try rotating the mattress every 3 to 6 months, so all side of the mattress is used, making it last longer.
- Every type of mattress has a different technique to clean it. So, make sure you know the process of cleaning your mattress type.
- Reduce dust and moisture from your mattress by keeping a ventilating space like opening the window and letting it absorb some sunlight. Also, remove sheets and covers to create better breathing space.
- Keeping pets off the mattress is another good technique to avoid their deadly claws and chewing.
- If you’re moving the mattress, keep it in the upright position to avoid damaging the springs.
Where to Replace a Mattress?
If you’re in or around Northern California, the best place to get a new mattress and get rid of the old is Mancini’s Sleepworld. The mattress store has more than 30 locations and must be available around you. Also, with their latest technology known as SleepMatch, you can get your ideal mattress options in no time.
SleepMatch takes inputs based on your preferences, runs them against thousands of parameters, and provides mattress options to choose from. Not only that, but you can also get amazing discounts and offers at the nearest Mancini’s Sleepworld store. Call now to book an appointment and get your ideal mattress today!