If you’re shopping for a new bed, size matters. Especially if there’s been a change in your living situation, you may be considering a different mattress size. How do you know which size is right for you? We have some helpful tips to make it easier.
- Consider who will be sleeping in it. Is it just you, or do you have a partner? Be realistic, making sure you have room for any kids or pets who may be joining you. You’ll want to move around comfortably, and your mattress should be six inches longer than the height of the tallest person sleeping on it. However, you should also consider your own preferences. Some couples like plenty of space for each person, while others prefer to snuggle in a smaller space.
- Measure your space. The bed should fit in the room with ample room to navigate around it. Considering things like drawers and closets, allowing at least 2-3 feet of clearance on two or three sides of the bed. It might be helpful to mark the dimensions of the bed on the floor using tape to be able to visualize how it will fit.
- Determine your budget. Beds and mattresses vary widely in price, so run the numbers before you start shopping. Larger beds typically cost more, but other things factor in too, like the craftsmanship and materials used in the bed. Make sure you plan for both the bed frame and the mattress when you’re setting your price range.
- Consider your long-term needs. Maybe you’re buying a single bed for your child. Will that meet the child’s needs during their teenage years, or should you consider going with something larger? You might be considering a queen bed for you and your partner, but if you’re planning to have kids a king might be a smarter investment.
- Know the options.
- Single/Twin: Large enough to accommodate children and some teens, these measure 39” wide by 75” long.
- Twin XL: 39” by 80”, these are popular in college dorms.
- Double/Full: A good option for a child’s room or small guest room, it’s 54” x 75”.
- Queen: Many couples are content with a queen mattress, which measure 60” by 80”.
- King: If you like plenty of space or have kids who like to join you, you might appreciate a king’s 76” by 80” dimensions.
- California King: This mattress is slightly narrower and longer than a king, measuring 72” by 84”.
When you’re ready for a new bed, check out Mancini’s Sleepworld. Since 1969, the Mancini family has sold brand name mattresses and furniture at fair prices while treating every customer with respect. Now more than ever, Mancini’s Sleepworld is prioritizing the safety and comfort of their customers. You can experience their commitment to a great mattress buying experience by visiting one of their 33 locations across the greater Bay Area. All locations are open for walk-ins or by appointment. To learn more, contact Mancini's here or call 800-647-5337.