Do you need a new mattress? You may have heard that mattresses should be replaced every eight years, but does that apply to every mattress? We’ve got the answers to your questions and some things you need to know about when to replace your mattress.
- Is eight an arbitrary number? Well, yes and no. Most mattresses last between 7 and 10 years, but some can last longer, especially if well-maintained. There are better ways to know whether or not a mattress needs to be replaced, and they involve paying attention to your particular mattress.
- Does your mattress sag, squeak, or poke you? If you feel like the mattress is sinking beneath you or you can see that it’s sagging then the foam may be compressing, or the springs may be losing their spring. If it’s squeaking, screeching, or creaking, the coils may be starting to age. You also probably need a new mattress if springs poke into your back or there are lumps in the mattress.
- When a mattress smells bad, that’s a bad sign. Over time, mildew, mold, and fungi can grow inside your mattress. If your mattress has started to smell musty, it may be time to replace it.
- If you sleep better on vacation, it may be the fault of your mattress. If you love staying in hotels because you sleep soundly and wake up refreshed, you might consider a new mattress.
- How are your allergies? If they’re flaring up, it could be the fault of your mattress. Mold, mildew, and dust can build up in a mattress, so if you’re waking up in the morning with a runny nose or a headache, it could be these allergens. A hypoallergenic mattress cover and washing bedding frequently may help, but a better solution is to replace the mattress. Consider this: memory foam, latex, and waterbeds are more resistant to dust mites than spring mattresses.
- If you’re not sleeping well, your mattress may be to blame. If you toss and turn at night, and find it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep, your mattress may not be as comfortable as it should be. On the right mattress, you should fall asleep easily and wake up in the morning feeling refreshed.
- The best indication of whether you need a new mattress is the way you feel. If you’re waking up in the morning with pain in your shoulders, hips, or back, you may need a new mattress.
When it’s time for a new mattress, you owe it to yourself to check out Mancini’s Sleepworld. Since 1969, the Mancini family has sold brand name mattresses and furniture at fair prices while treating every customer with respect. Now more than ever, Mancini’s Sleepworld is prioritizing the safety and comfort of their customers. You can experience their commitment to a great mattress buying experience by visiting one of their 33 locations across the greater Bay Area. All locations are open for walk-ins or by appointment. To learn more, contact Mancini's here or call 800-647-5337.